8.25 in HIGH x 11 in WIDE
(20.95 cm HIGH x 27.94 cm WIDE)
Oakland Tribune Collection, Oakland Museum of California, gift of ANG Newspapers

Ump #2 6 1/2 x 4 D-1" (handwritten in pencil on front beneath typed text); "MAY 19 1981" (stamped in blue ink to caption affixed to back)

AP Laserphoto of San Francisco Giants Manager Frank Robinson standing behind home plate bowing to Umpire Lee Weyer after being thrown out of a Giants game against the New York Mets. Robinson is in full uniform with a dark jacket that says "Giants" on the shoulder. Weyer stands far left, facing Robinson, and is wearing a dark jacket with the number "21" on the shoulder. In the center, also facing Robinson, is Mets catcher John Sterns in full catcher's gear. The back of his jersey says, "STEARNS / 12." Caption on front to left of photo reads: "(FXP1)SAN FRANCISCO, MAY 18--ROBBIE TAKES A BOW--San Francisco Giants manager Frank Robinson takes a deep bow to umpire Lee Weyer after being thrown out of game in third inning of Monday night game with New York Mets. Robinson had long argument with Weyer apparently about a call on Giants Bill North. Mets catcher John Sterns waits for play to resume. (AP LASERPHOTO) (rhh23110stf-rhh) '81 SLUGGED: Giants-Mets." Caption on back of photo reads, "UPI / Robinson takes a deep bow filled with sarcasm after Weyer gives him the boot in third inning." Top and right margins of photo have cropping registration marks in pencil.

Frank RobinsonFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Robinson (5/30/2007) Frank Robinson (born August 31, 1935 in Beaumont, Texas), is a Hall of Fame former Major League Baseball player. He was an outfielder, most notably with the Cincinnati Reds and the Baltimore Orioles. During a 21-season career, he became the first player to win League MVP honors in both the National and American Leagues, won the Triple crown, was a member of two teams that won the World Series (the 1966 and 1970 Baltimore Orioles), and amassed the fourth-most career home runs at the time of his retirement (he is currently sixth).During the last two years of his playing career, he served as the first permanent African-American manager in Major League history, managing the Cleveland Indians to a 186-189 record. He went on to manage the San Francisco Giants, the Baltimore Orioles, the Montreal Expos and the Washington Nationals. Lee WeyerFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Weyer (7/23/2007)Lee Howard Weyer (September 3, 1936 _ July 4, 1988) was an American umpire in Major League Baseball who worked in the National League from 1963 to 1988. In a 1987 Sports Illustrated poll of NL catchers, Weyer was rated the best at calling balls and strikes. He was the home plate umpire on September 11, 1985 in Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium when Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's career hits record.Born in Imlay City, Michigan, Weyer was first placed under contract with the NL in 1959 while he was in the Army. After working a few NL games in 1961, he was scheduled to join the league's regular staff for the 1962 season until a December car accident which also took his mother's life. His recuperation from injuries delayed his joining the staff by a full season, but he gradually gained a reputation as one of the league's best officials. Weyer umpired in the World Series in 1969, 1976, 1982 and 1987, serving as crew chief in 1976 and 1982. He also officiated in five National League Championship Series (1971, 1974, 1978, 1983, 1986), the 1981 National League Division Series, and four All-Star games (1965, 1972, 1979, 1984), calling balls and strikes for the last of these.Weyer was widely regarded as having one of the largest strike zones in baseball. He often liked to dig trenches on either side of home plate to expose the black portions, which are often borderline pitches between balls and strikes. He wore uniform number 23 when the NL adopted uniform numbers in the 1960s, and was the only umpire to wear a white chest protector, which was prominent because Weyer almost always wore his blazer when calling balls and strikes, even on hot days.In 1980, Weyer was diagnosed as having Guillan-barre syndrome, a potentially life-threatening disorder that affects muscle control and can cause blindness. He rebounded and also returned from a bout with diabetes in 1982. He died in San Francisco, California of a heart attack at the age of 51, during the 1988 season.

Used: Oakland Tribune

Bookmark and Share